The Dunfermline Carnegie Library was the first of 2,500 Carnegie libraries around the world. With an initial gift of £8,000, the Library was opened in 1883. There was so much interest in the Library that it ran out of books on the first day. The collection has since grown to over 64,000 items with 20,000 books being issued each month.
Our tour included 3 sections of the Library: the main lending library, the special collections, and a local history room. Below is a view of the main lending library which is comprised of adult fiction and non-fiction. Also part of this section is the bright and cheerful children's library.
Despite being housed in an historical building, the local history department has modernized the facilities and the collection is now housed in a climate controlled room. This department includes local newspapers that date back to 1859, parish records, census records from 1841 and later, minutes from the county council meetings from as early as 1843.
One of the highlights of the Special Collection department is the Murison Burns Collection. John Murison was such avid fan of Robert Burns work that everything in this room has either been written by or about Robert Burns. There are a number of art pieces that depict Burns, as well. The collection is a living collection and continues to grow with new items each year.
For some brief information about Carnegie Libraries, visit: Wikipedia